My Birth Story

Before I forget, I want to write down my birth story. First Baby.

Due Date: May 3, 2014

Thursday May 1st, 10:58pm. My water broke. Prior to this I had been laying in bed. I had just finished a bag of M&M’s and was watching 19 Kids and Counting on Netflix. I got up to use the bathroom when my husband came up from watching TV downstairs. I almost walked out of the bathroom, and stopped turned around (to get my nasal strip) but before I made it to that, I felt something weird and trickle. I looked at my husband, and I told him, either my water broke, or I peed myself (which was not likely since I JUST used the bathroom!)

Next I called Tripler. They were busy and someone was going to call me back. I decided to take a quick shower, and then headed down the living room to sit on a wooden chair over non carpeted floors.

IMG_5911An hour passes… no word from Tripler. So I call again, let them know my water broke and hour ago, and they said they were going to find someone now, and would call me back. All the while I was feeling fine. No contractions, nothing, just leaking water. Another 30 minutes pass, still no word from Tripler. We decide to go in, since no one had called me and it was a 30 minute drive. I call and let them know I am coming in. They are fully aware I am coming in.

1:04am May 2, 2014: Tripler Nurse calls me back. I tell her I am in the parking lot walking to the front doors and will be up in a minute.

I get there, get checked in, and they check to make sure I am leaking amniotic fluid. Yep, my water broke. The Dr. tells me that they have been sending patients to other hospitals because they are so busy, and if I would have called they would have told me to go to the nearest hospital…. OH REALLY!?! ha.

They end up sending me to another hospital. I get to get on a gurney, and ride in an ambulance, while my husband followed in our car.

3:45am. Castle Medical Center. I arrive and get checked in. Since my water had broke and I had been in several locations they decided to start me on antibiotics and get my iv in.

7:30am May 2, 2014. They start me on pitocin. No contractions, nothing still, so it is time to start getting this birth going.

Pain finally starts hitting, so I get an epidural sometime Friday night. I only know this because my friend brought my husband dinner, and he left the room to eat it while I got it put in.

May 3, 2014.

Sometime that morning I had made it to 4cm dilated. Yes, I was at zero when I checked it. It has now been 24 hours on pitocin and I am only at 4 cm. Later that day, I made it to 6cm. Nurse said, ok in 4 hours you should be ready! I was super excited! I battled through the pain. I got some crazy drug that made me feel super drunk, because I had some hardcore pelvic pain. But for the most part I was in high spirits, until…

1:00pm May 3, 2014. Nurse came to check in on me. 4 hours after I made it to 6cm… and I hadn’t even made it to 7cm…

The call was being made. I wanted the baby out. The pain was so bad. From previous ultrasounds, they were measuring my baby BIG! Like double digits big! Which made me super nervous. The nurse came back and we were going to do a c-section. I was 100% prepared for a c-section because I had placenta previa for the majority of my pregnancy. We got all ready for surgery. My husband got his super awesome outfit on and they were prepping me for the drugs I needed.

2:5something PM: I am ready for my c-section. Dr. starts to cut. I tell her ouch. She says you can feel that. I said Yep! She does it again, and I say I can feel that! Turns out my epidural wore out right where she needed to cut. Which may explain my pelvic pain… They needed to put me under. The last thing I remember was someone asking if the baby needed to eat if it was ok to give her formula. I said Yes, and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery.

The first thing I asked was, what time is it? I immediately forgot the time. I remember several people around me doing all sorts of things, like taking out my epidural, and who knows what else. I again asked what time it was. I think it was 4:45pm. But I am still confused, and out of it. Finally I found the clock on the wall. It said 4:45pm.

I was wheeled back into my room. My husband was standing there holding our baby girl. He was trying to bring her to me and show me her. I had double vision and got super nauseous. Finally I was able to see her. I was completely unaware of how much time had passed. Our baby girl was born at 2:58pm, weighing 7lbs 2 oz. (boy were those measurements off) and it was now after 5pm.

IMG_5944We tried feeding but my milk had not come in. I don’t think i had much colostrum either. It was not working. I ended spending some extra days at the hospital because of my c-section, and trouble with milk production. But I was finally able to go home on May 6th, 2014.

After coming home, we still struggled with feeding since my milk didn’t come in. We ended up seeing a pediatrician the next day since she had lost almost a pound at the hospital. She finally gave us the relief we needed. If she is hungry give her formula. For some reason no one thought that idea was ok, even though my husband and I were 100% ok with doing that if we had to! The stress was off, and she ate and was no longer hungry! And then the next day my milk came in.

At this point she loved her bottles and struggled with trying to breast feed. So we made the decision to exclusively pump. The first couple weeks she had some BM and some formula, but then, I was able to give her only BM for several months. At about the 3 and half month mark, pumping became more of a chore and my supply started to drop. I decided to stop pumping at 4 months. I have enough milk stored to go a couple months. I ultimately decided to stretch out the BM as far as possible and not she has mostly formula with  BM just before bedtime.

At 5 months, I now have a happy, healthy baby girl who just doubled her birth weight. She’s starting solids and is so much fun. Everything I went through was worth it. I had some ups and downs, but we survived. We made the choices we did because it was what was best for US.

I wanted to write down my story so I wouldn’t forget. As each day passes, I remember less and less. My recovery took a while, to get moving back to normal it took longer. It all healed great. My nurses were AMAZING and helped me out a ton! I never had a birth plan. My plan was to get my baby out however it needed to happen. I wish my body looked like what it did when I was 18, but that won’t happen again. I’m 30, so losing the weight is hard. But my next goal is to get in shape, lose the weight and be the best Mom I can be.

black and white mom dotEvery pregnancy is different, and sometimes you just never know what to expect. I did it all, except push. Next time around I will schedule my birth, and hopefully I will be awake for it! Fingers crossed (but I have a few years before that will happen).



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: